Contemporary oil paintings from a studio located deep in the West Hills of Portland, Oregon



Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What Once Was

10"x10" oil on canvas $500

There is something in me that longs to reach back into time when the weather was more palatable to my personal body thermostat. Especially if I am sitting in a cold studio. This piece was inspired from a trip taken last summer by train up the coast of Rhode Island. I had never heard the term "brackish" water said as often as I did on that ride. I took lots of pictures and this piece was inspired by the landscape of the "brackish" waters of the East Coast.
I'd often see just one tree out on a lonely looking piece of land. A lot of the trees were bereft of life, having stood in place for years in various states of decay. I loved how lonely and isolated they looked. They weren't really alone, as I was watching over them, if only for a brief second.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Isn't it amazing how similar the terrain and vegetation are in that part of the east coast compared to our coast. So similar, but yet different. I am really enjoying this piece. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! You've made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your painting and your writing! I've often felt an empathy for those bare trees alongside the road too!

    ReplyDelete